Tuesday, November 14, 2017

Two Coats Are More Stylish than One?

When I think of "two coats," the image that pops into my mind is nail polish--apply two coats of color, plus base and top coat.

If I tweak the language to "double coat," my thoughts go to golden retrievers, Newfies, and their cousins, dogs who have double coats.

But this fall, the concept of "two," "double," or "layered" coats has hit the runway, whether the catwalk be a designer's space or a city street.

I've been in awe of individuals who can layer fabrics and not look like le bonhomme de neige. I remember when I went away to university and met reed-thin twin sisters who would wear two Ralph Lauren polo shirts, with collars popped, beneath a button-down. It was not only a display of wealth (those polos were pricey) but also of silhouette superiority: they looked fashionable, not bulky.

My favourite two-coat look? The jacket as bustier above.

A close second: This look below, which reminds me of Sarah Jessica Parker's highland fling in McQueen a number of years back.



But this is my absolute favourite double coat ever (in double!):




1 comment:

Wendelah said...

Businessmen wear two coats routinely in cold winter climates: suit jacket and overcoat. I have no idea what businesswomen wear now but I assume some still wear jackets even if they aren't wearing a matching trouser or skirt. So, adding a raincoat when it's raining has been designated a trend?

Personally I've never cared for the look of walking around with a coat falling off one's shoulders. To my eye, it appears disheveled and it is not improved by pretending that a jacket is a bustier. YMMV.