Saturday, August 20, 2016

Miss Cavendish's Olympics Quilt 2016

One strategy I have for amplifying my enjoyment of the Olympic Games (and for avoiding commercials if I'm watching "real time" TV) is to make something.

Most memorably, during the 1994 Olympics I knit a lopi pesa with wool that Mr C sent me from Iceland, where he was spending a year as a Fulbright fellow.

This summer I engaged in my own 400m dash by handpiecing and handquilting this quilt in just over two weeks.

I bought all the fabric in New Jersey. I'd popped into a local shop to get some thread, and the map-of-the-world fabric caught my eye. Soon I was walking out with mismatched fabrics for the quilt top and returned a few days later to purchased some more mismatches for the back.


I quilted half-chevrons along the pink/gold stripes; circles on the toile (unintentional souvenirs of the Games?), and traced the lines of the map. The binding is my beloved Liberty of London.


No comments: