Saturday, August 6, 2016

Hey, Hey, Do the Macaron-a; or Ladies Who Ladurée: SoHo, NY, Edition


I think that macarons are possibly the prettiest pastry ever--on its own, in a display case, on a pièce montée.

And I think that whimsical illustrations are delightful as well; in the mid 1990s I remember buying an expensive Kate Spade large leather daytimer, just because its pages contained charming illustrations (I've tucked away one of some miniature silverware . . . somewhere).

In SoHo on Wednesday the window of Ladurée stopped me in my tracks, as it contained BOTH beautifully tinted macarons and giftboxes with delightful illustrations.

It was a no-brainer to go inside with my daughter and buy her a giftbox; I, when I learned I couldn't purchase an empty box for myself, decided to fill a second one.


And lest anyone think I'm fancying myself a modern-day Marie Antoinette, please note that these macarons were set up an outdoor ping-pong table, not Versailles, for their photo shoot. I will not be playing ping-pong with them, though; I don't even know if I will eat them.

See the Marie Antoinette blue? I'll bet its flavour is either cake batter or the daintiest-ever shoe leather.




No comments: