Wednesday, August 31, 2016

Gone Bowling: In Remembrance of Mushroom Hair Past




When I was little, in the 1970s, I loved reading the ad pages in my comic books as much as I loved the comics themselves: Archie, Millie the Model, horror comics, romance comics.










My favourite ad was for a mushroom wig, which I thought was the dernier cri in chic. The ad I remember featured that wig among a bevy of other wigs; current research turns up this singleton version, in its full bowl beauty:



Last spring Gucci reclaimed the mushroom via model Peyton Knight, who wears it in the top right image.




I recall also loving this look on Toni Tennille, here with her glorious bulldogs:






on Joanna Lumley's Purdey:



but not, alas, on me. And I should have know; I never eat mushrooms.

By the way, I also thought that Marie Osmond, circa 1976, wore a cropped mushroom / bowl, but I was wrong:


I did realize, however, that Taylor Swift, circa 2016, is wearing Marie's hair.



No comments: