Saturday, June 2, 2012

"Vintage" Finds

I am moving office, and one of the treasures I unearthed from my file cabinet is a modest collection of magazine clippings of clothes I liked back in the day.

The first two images are from Town and Country, a magazine I very rarely look at, but am rather delighted that I bought this time.  The model is Annette Roque, whom I like to think of on her own, not as the spouse of a famous guy.  I remember when she modelled for the late great Mirabella magazine, and I brought with me to Frederic Fekkai a photo of her short, chic bob to serve as inspiration for when I had my close-to-waist-length locks chopped off.

The top image strikes me as a tremendously appealing way to wear something I haven't worn since my summer days waiting tables: a white blouse.  The skirt and shirt are both from Bill Blass (remember him?) and I think that the crisp A-line skirt speaks to me so because of its embroidery.  It reminds me of the reputation-making safety-pin gown by Versace that Elizabeth Hurley wore out with Hugh Grant (back when she also carried off a sweet bob).




Metallic sandals by Manolo Blahnik (priced at what NOW seems like a reasonable $465) stand the test of time.  I don't think anyone'd be asking me for a water refill in this ensemble.

The second look is top to knee YSL Rive Gauche.  It's from when that particular pinky-brown was Yves' signature color, a color I love.  This skirt, with its decorative "diamond" gathers in front recalls some lines from a favorite Maya Angelou poem:


Does my sexiness upset you?
Does it come as a surprise
That I dance like I've got diamonds
At the meeting of my thighs?  

("Still I Rise")

Last is this jacket by Valentino, from InStyle, I believe.  I love the juxtaposition of the strong leather with the delicate mother-of-pearl. 



It recalls some furniture designs, such as this inlay chest:


I would feel like a streamlined Moroccan pouf if I wore this jacket, in the best of all possible ways.


No comments: